Sunday, June 29, 2014

Murakami Musings

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is a short and sweet memoir by Haruki Murakami.  I am especially curious with other people's creative processes, so this novel which also provided Murakami's philosophies on life, running, and writing served me well.  

I decided to pull out my book on this impromptu trip to the beach.  My friend Khin and I relaxed on the sand near the shores. We caught up while I took these photos; playing with the sand and the book before going calf-deep in the ocean's ice cold water.  I felt this quote quite fitting for me and appropriate in describing the moment:

"If I go for a long time without seeing water, I feel like something's slowly draining out of me.  It's probably like the feeling a music lover has when, for whatever reason, he's separated from music for a long time. "

     




I learned about Murakami's creative process while reflecting on my own as well as a few other things about him like 1. Murakami is a morning person  2. He remembers the exact moment he decided to write a novel 3. He and his wife used to run a bar 4. He is not pained by being alone






 life lessons

"...prioritize in life figuring out in what order you should divide up your time and energy"

"You can't please everybody."



seagull, waves, seaweed, jellyfish, sea foam,and tracks in the sand from the visit to the beach

 poetic reflection


"In the midst of this flow, I'm aware of myself as one tiny piece in the gigantic mosaic of nature. "
"I'm just a replaceable natural phenomenon, like the water int he river that flows under the bridge toward the sea."

"Nothing in the real world is as beautiful as the illusions of a person about to lose consciousness."

Sand and Bookcover play
                                            Creative process

"I have to pound the rock with a chisel and dig out a deep hole before i can locate the source of creativity. "

"To write a novel I have to drive myself hard physically ands use a lot of time and effort. 
Every time I begin new novel, I have to dredge out another new, deep hole."

"When we pass each other on the road, we listen to the rhythm of each other’s breathing, and sense the way the other person is ticking away the moments.  Much like two writers perceive each other’s diction and style"


500X100
A lost cat seems to have found Murakami 

Next on my reading list:
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
1984 - George Orwell
Just Kids - Patti Smith
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment