Sunday, June 1, 2014

Beauty Is Meaningless Until It Is Shared





Tuesday afternoon I sat in one of my favorite coffee shops at my favorite seat beside the brick wall facing the windows. The warmth and light pouring through the windows along with the peace in the cafe, really marked the end of another semester and the beginning of a new summer. Burmese Days was a story I've been wanting to read for a while. I am unsure if I'll be visiting the motherland this summer, but if planes can't take me to Burma, I think Orwell can.




"Beauty is meaningless until it is shared."

"A mingled scent of sandalwood, garlic, coconut oil and the jasmine in her hair floated from her." 

"What fun it could all be, if only you had someone to share it with you!   How could you love this country, if only you were not alone!"



three stories in one: 1. Burmese Days 2. Keep the Aspidistra Flying 3. Coming Up for Air



Orwell's first novel, Burmese Days, is the first of his books I will be adventuring through this summer.  His fluency in Burmese and his stay in Burma as an officer is evident through the pages as he spills the setting of the village, to the bazaar, Mandalay, and Rangoon, the familiar smells associated: sandalwood, coconut, lemongrass; the characters each with their own faults.  Each character is introduced with his/her own faults and natures and through their eyes their own views of Burma. 
There is beauty in the book - with the human flaws, and emotions.  No doubt i'll be sharing it.





No comments:

Post a Comment